i finally started on the circuit boards for the reprap a couple of days ago. after placing the solder paste onto the pads with a cocktail stick, i placed the components with a pair of tweezers.
then, once i’d cursed and swore about a few missing components and pinging one across the room, i placed them on a sheet of tinfoil on top of the electric oven’s ring. a lot of people talk about correct heating profiles and temperatures, but i must’ve just been very lucky. i whacked the ring on full power and waited for it to reflow.
once it had, i dragged it off and let it cool, then soldered the through hole parts on.
at the moment i’ve done two stepper motor drivers and the motherboard, still the extruder controller and one stepper left to do. unfortunately the atmega chip for the motherboard didn’t come with it (deliberately or not, not found out yet) so i can’t test any of the boards. still, i’m confident that all the joints are solid.
i’ll get some pictures of all this up later, lost the flippin lead again.
realised that i’m going to have to remake the z-clamps as well, the ones i have installed at the moment don’t clamp the rod at all. still, they’re hardly the most difficult to parts to fabricate!